Supporting Amma with Meals
Amma Thanasanti Bhikkhuni is residing at the Awakening Truth Learning Center in Santa Rosa.
One of the hallmarks of alms mendicancy is the interdependence between monastics and the surrounding community. This gives an opportunity to have contact, to talk about one’s meditation practice and Dhamma before or after meals, and to support Amma and the emergent Awakening Truth community. One way of supporting is through offering meals.
There are several ways this can be done.
- Bring a meal directly to Amma at the hermitage at a time that is convenient for you or share a meal with her at her meal times – 7am and 11:30am.
- Offer food or cook food that is already in the hermitage either for Amma or as part of sharing a meal with her.
- Offer goods that can be easily heated up or eaten as is.
- Setup a rice cooker on a timer the day before so that the food will be ready and offered to Amma in the morning.
- Offer funds for others to purchase ingredients and make meals.
Working together in the spirit of Dhamma, we find ways to engage in the ancient tradition of alms mendicancy in our modern and busy world. This allows each of us to reflect on interdependence, contentment, and restraint, as well as support Amma in her intention to keep the Bhikkhuni precepts of not storing or cooking food.
By supporting in this way, you will see how community emerges through support and see how it feels to be part of it.